Youth Beyond Enterprises (YBE for short) is an online resource platform for teen entrepreneurs. This site is be focused primarily on sparking/fueling their inherent creativity by showing them how they can take the ideas they have and turn them into viable/sustainable businesses within the Bay of Quinte region. That being said, others (teen or not) may benefit from this platform not just in Ontario, Canada but maybe even the rest of the world!
The information here can be used to either help teens launch a business venture or can help them to identify community problems/issues that they believe need resolving and the solutions needed. There are blogs filled with inspirational quotes, ideas for first time businesses, the benefits of being a young(er) entrepreneur and even how to figure out if entrepreneurship is right for you. This is designed to complement and enhance the already existing organizations within our community. After all, aren’t we here for the same reasons? You know, to help out our young people and the betterment of our community?
Why does YBE need to exist?
We have a very serious problem in the Bay of Quinte community. The number of students who are leaving our Region upon graduation is roughly 40%. When youth leave, all of the innovation, talent and economic impact (spending and investments) goes with them. According to Statistics Canada, out of the remaining 60% of youth (ages 15-29) that are here, roughly 14% are unemployed vs. 7.7% of the general population. Youth Beyond Enterprises will help to attract and retain families and youth to the area and give the youth that we already have here a chance at a better life. Together, we can make this, the Bay of Quinte region, a sustainable community.
How did this come about? Who am I?
My name is Rachael, and I am a Bay of Quinte born & raised graduate of the Business Accounting Diploma, Human Resource Management Post-Graduate, and Entrepreneurial Studies-Business Launch Post-Graduate Programs at Loyalist College. I am also a very proud member of the Cadet Instructors Cadre Branch of the Canadian Forces, charged with the duty to develop and train members of the Royal Canadian Air Cadets. In 2014, I was one of the youngest to run for a seat on Prince Edward County Council. In 2016, I participated in the District 7070 Rotary Youth Leadership Awards. I am also serving as an Expert Judge for Ontario Centre of Excellence’s 2017 Make Your Pitch Competition.
I’ve always had a passion for working with teenagers (admittedly, I’m only a few years past being one myself), and I do experience every week just what they are capable of. I know if they are given access to the right resources, have someone who believes in them, and are passionate enough about something, they really can do anything they set their minds to. I also know firsthand what it is like to struggle with finding meaningful employment in the place that I love, and understand completely why others my age and younger desire so badly to leave. I had my own struggles with this before I decided to take a stand and make some changes. A community without engaged and employed young people is not going to sustain itself for very long.